Monday, May 11, 2009

Worth the Read

Even though I've become increasingly disenchanted with most of the cycling tabloids, out of pure curiosity I still subscribe and read. Well, in most cases I thumb through and pick and choose what to read and thanks to Woolard, I don't actually have to subscribe. I just read his hand-me-downs. Woolard has a magazine problem, which works out well for me.

There is a column and article in this month's Bicycling that is well worth the read. The column is entitled Ride, Don't Train. It's written by The Bike Snob himself. If you're a cyclist and haven't stumbled accross http://www.bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/ yet, you need to. The article is an excellent wording of how I feel about cycling. Screw coaches and power meters. I'm not getting paid to do this shit. It's supposed to be fun. Just Ride!!! (pg 25)

The article is entitled The Anti-Shop. It's about a bicycle coop in Oklahoma that allows people to salvage and build bicycles for free. The tools are there, the stands are there, and used parts and frames are made available through donations and discards. There's something cool about a place where a college student tunes up a $2k bike next to a homeless person building a commuter that may eventually take them to work. (pg 32)