Saturday, September 26, 2009

ITunes killed MusicLand

I have to admit, I'm not big on change. And while new advancement and technology makes thinks more efficient and accessible, it takes away from the experience. I have however accepted some things into my world. Disc brakes on my mountain bike is a must. I love my DVR. I don't think I can go without satellite radio anymore.

But buying music . . . . that's where I'm torn.

I am a music junkie and frequent ITunes. I can honestly say that all my music has been purchased and not "shared". It seems like digital music is all but making the music stores I remember (Turtles, Musicland, Peppermint, etc.) obsolete. It is a luxury to be able to sample different music and buy just the songs you want. It's kind of like the Warehouse's micro brew deal - create your own six pack. But sitting at home buying one song at a time dilutes the experience of the music.

When I was going to school in Carrollton, there was a small independent shop that carried new and used music plus imports and rarities. I probably stop by there at least once a week to see if anything new was in. And then there was the shop in Statesboro that would have midnight releases of albums. They'd have beer and wine and blast the album in the store while everyone just partied and waited. At midnight we'd storm the counter to pay for the new album, tear off the cellophane, and spend the next hour listening and reading the booklet. It was part of the experience; a part that is being lost, but I found it again.



Pearl Jam released their latest album several days ago. I love all kinds of music, but if I'm stuck on a desert island with one album, it's going to be Pearl Jam something . . . probably TEN. I've had intentions to pick it up all week but haven't had time. Each day a sense of urgency grew and I started getting a tingle. I'd here "The Fixer" on the radio and it'd just stoke my need to have the album.

This morning I ran some errands and made my visit to the store to actually buy a new CD. The wrapper was torn off as I walked out of the doors and the sleeve was opened before my truck door was opened. I sat in the truck and listened to the first three songs before I ever put the key in the ignition. I listened to the rest of the album while cooking lunch and having a beer.

Long live tangible music!!